Alberni Valley Bulldogs Chilliwack Chiefs Coquitlam Express Cowichan Capitals Cranbrook Bucks Langley Rivermen Merritt Centennials Nanaimo Clippers Penticton Vees Powell River Kings Prince George Spruce Kings Salmon Arm Silverbacks Surrey Eagles Trail Smoke Eaters Vernon Vipers Victoria Grizzlies Wenatchee Wild West Kelowna Warriors
Team Sites
Follow the BCHL


October 2nd, 2015



 Salmon Arm, BC. – The Wenatchee Wild found themselves down at the end of the second for the first time this season, but battled back and grabbed a 4-4 double-overtime tie against the Salmon Arm Silverbacks Friday night, in front of 1,135 at the Shaw Centre in Salmon Arm, British Columbia.

The Wild led 1-0 after one on an August Von Ungern (Boise, ID) goal, assisted by Matt Baker (Midhurst, ON) and Blake Christensen (Naples, FL) at 6:24. The power play goal gave Wenatchee a 1-0 lead through 20 minutes.

In the second, Salmon Arm scored three times, twice a man down. They would score a 5-on-5 goal at 9:25, as Nick Hutchison scored from Jared Turcotte, knotting the score 1-1. The Silverbacks would take the lead moments later, as Colton Thibault scored from Brett Stewart at 10:50, putting the home team on top, 2-1. The Wild tied the game on a Von Ungern goal, his second of the night. Logan Milliken (Canmore, AB) and Troy Conzo (Nesconset, NY) assisted at 15:57, squaring the contest at 2-2. Salmon Arm regained the lead late, as Taro Hinose scored from Ross Heidt at 18:35, giving the Silverbacks a 3-2 lead after two.

Moving on to the third, Matt Baker (Midhurst, ON) scored an unassisted goal at the 14:29 mark, tying the game 3-3. Salmon Arm would regain the lead just over a minute later, as Stewart scored, off assists by Ryley Booth and Turcotte at 15:51. That goal put the ‘backs on top at 4-3. But, with just over two minutes to play, Conzo took a pass from Bryan Yoon (Parker, CO) and scored five-hole at 17:54, tying the game for Wenatchee 4-4.

The two teams then battled through two five-minute overtime periods, the first played 4-on-4, the second 3-on-3, but neither team could score the winner and the game ended in the 4-4 tie.

Shots were tied 35-35. Chase Perry (Andover, MN), playing his sixth consecutive game, stopped 31 shots for the Wild , as did Angus Redmond for Salmon Arm. Wenatchee went 1-for-5 on the power play with two short-handed goals against and 3-of-3 on the penalty kill. “Two pretty evenly matched teams tonight.” said Wenatchee Wild Head Coach/General Manager Bliss Littler. “Happy we were able to find a way to come back from being down a couple of times and it’s also tough when you lose a special teams battle. We gave up two shorties tonight. We did score a power play goal, a little unlucky on the power play tonight. The one shot went off our guy’s helmet, they ended up getting a breakaway and scoring. Second one we were breaking the puck out and we stepped on their stick and fell down, they picked the puck up and scored. We were just a little unlucky, but overall pretty proud of the effort, that we found a way to battle back and pick up a point.”

With the tie, Wenatchee is now 5-0-1-0 on the season, while the Silverbacks move to 4-1-2-0. The Wild plays at West Kelowna on Saturday, October 3rd, then Langley on Friday, October 9th, before playing their home opener against the Coquitlam Express on Saturday, October 10th, with faceoff at the Town Toyota Center set for 7:05pm PDT. Tickets are available at the Wild office, or by calling 509-888-7825.

Battle For The Border