by Arch Ecker
The Wenatchee Wild, proud members of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) in conjunction with the league have announced the release of the 2016-17 BCHL Official Game Schedule. The schedule in its entirety is viewable on the team website (wenatcheewildhockey.com) and also the league’s official website (bchl.ca).
The Wild will play a 58 game regular season schedule, including the 2 games at the BCHL Showcase in Chilliwack, BC in September. There will be 28 home games played in the Town Toyota Center, with 25 of the 28 played on Fridays and Saturdays. The BCHL plays a full interlocking schedule, meaning every team will play at the others rink once, with the remaining games all played in the division. The Wild once again will compete in the Mainland Division. The first game will be Wednesday, September 14, the first of a three game set at Prince George. The Wild Home Opener will be Friday, September 30 against the Langley Rivermen, followed the next night with the Salmon Arm Silverbacks making their only visit of the season to Wenatchee.
Here are some of the other highlights in the new schedule to watch for this season:
- Oct. 28 and 29 – The Merritt Centennials and Penticton Vees make their lone visits to the Town Toyota Center. The Wild will look for their first wins against these Interior Division foes.
- Thanksgiving Weekend – The Wild will be home for the holiday. The night before Thanksgiving, it’s the rematch of last season’s Mainland Division finalists as the Chilliwack Chiefs return to Wenatchee. The Vernon Vipers drop in on Friday and the weekend closes out Saturday with the West Kelowna Warriors, winners of last season’s BCHL Fred Page Cup, the Western Canada Cup, and ultimately the Royal Bank Cup.
- Dec. 1 – The Surrey Eagles come to Town Toyota Center in what will be a milestone game for the franchise. It will mark the 500th regular season game in franchise history, dating back to 2008.
- Dec. 30 and 31 – With the Christmas break over, action resumes in the Town Toyota Center as Chilliwack returns for a pair of games to help ring in the New Year.
- Jan. 16 – In a special stand-alone Monday game on Martin Luther King Day, the Coquitlam Express roll in to town for the final time this season in a Mainland Division tilt.
- Feb. 17 and 18 – The regular season home schedule closes as it began, with the Langley Rivermen in town. It will be their first time in Wenatchee since Opening Night in September.